History of NCBJ
Before Institute of Nuclear Research (IBJ)
Works on development of a Van de Graaff electrostatic accelerator started in Institute of Experimental Physics (Warsaw University Physics Faculty) under the leadership of Professor A. Sołtan.
Elementary Particle Physics Lab of Polish Academy of Sciences called into being in Warsaw. The Lab's main objective was to design a research nuclear reactor. First in Poland particle accelerators and detectors were developed. Draft design of a research nuclear reactor of power 5 MW was worked out.
Institute for Nuclear Research (IBJ) was called into being in Świerk (June 4). Professor Andrzej Sołtan was appointed its first director.
Central Radiation Protection Lab was called into being.
Professor Sołtan resigned from the post of IBJ Director (December 31)
EWA, a reasearch reactor purchased in Soviet Union and installed in Świerk reached critical state. Its initial power 2 MW was later increased up to 10 MW.
30 MeV cyclotron was put into operation in IBJ Bronowice Branch near Cracow.
IBJ Bronowice Branch near Cracow was transformed into an independent Institute of Nuclear Physics (IFJ). Professor Henryk Niewodniczański was appointed IFJ's Director.
LECH, a Van de Graaff electrostatic accelerator was put into operation in Warsaw.
ANNA, an entirely Polish zero-power critical set (100 W power) was put into operation in Świetk.
MARYLA, an entirely Polish zero-power critical set was put into operation in Świerk.
GIER, a large computer delivered by A/S Regnecentralen (a Danish company) was installed in Świerk
A decision was made to construct another entirely Polish research reactor..The reactor was named MARIA after Maria Skłodowska Curie, a great Polish physicists, twice Nobel prize winner in physics (1903) and chemistry (1911).
ANDRZEJ, a proton accelerator was put into operation in Świerk.
LAE 13-9, an electron accelerator was put into operation in the Żerań branch of IBJ.
AGATA, another zero-power critical set was put into operation in Świerk.
CYFRONET, a computer data centre was put into operation in Świerk.
CYBER, a large computer delivered by Control Data (an US company) was installed in Świerk.
The MARIA.research reactor of 30 MW thermal power was put into operation. Production of isotope preparations for nuclear medicine, environment protection and industry is still among major applications of the reactor.
During the martial law perion imposed in Poland (December 13, 1981 - July 22, 1983) IBJ was re-organized on political grounds. About 70 persons - including several scientists of recognized positions - lost their jobs.
IBJ was split into three independent Institutes (on January 1):
- Institute for Nuclear Studies (IPJ) in Świerk
- Institute of Atomic Energy (IEA) in Świerk
- Institute of Nuclear Chemistrry and Technology (IChTJ) in Warsaw.
Institute for Nuclear Studies (IPJ) and Institute of Atomic Energy (IEA)
MARIA reactor was shut down for extensive modernization.
MARIA reactor was re-started
EWA reactor was permanently shut-down.
EWA reactor was decomissioned
POLATOM Sp. z o. o. company was split from POLATOM Isotope Production Centre.
Associate Professor Grzegorz Wrochna was appointed IPJ Director.
The US-financed programme to replace highly-enriched uranium Russian fuel in MARIA reactor with low-enriched uranium fuel started.
POLATOM Radio-Isotope Production Centre merged with IEA. Name of the latter was changed to POLATOM Institute of Atomic Energy (IEA POLATOM) .
National Centre for Nuclear Research (NCBJ)
NCBJ was called into being on September 1 by means of incorporating IEA POLATOM into IPJ. Professor Grzegorz Wrochna was appointed NCBJ Director General.